The Residences at 400 Central is delighted to see recognition of our exceptionally designed neighbor — the St. Pete Pier — which was recognized as one of the best new urban designs in the world.
This year, six impressive developments from around the world were selected as winners of the 2022 Urban Land Institute (ULI) Global Awards for Excellence. One of which was located in our own St. Petersburg — the St. Pete Pier! The program evaluates submissions on overall excellence, including achievements in marketplace acceptance, design, planning, technology, amenities, economic impact, management, community engagement, innovation, and sustainability, among others. Winning projects represent the highest standards of achievement in the land use profession.
St Pete Pier
St. Pete Pier is located less than a 15-minute walk from 400 central! The Pier is situated on the city’s picturesque waterfront, promising limitless enjoyment for everyone, both long-term residents and first-time visitors. Its 26 acres seamlessly combine the peaceful blue waters of Tampa Bay with the vibrant greenery of downtown St. Petersburg parks, creating the ideal environment to stroll, bike, dine and shop.
The Bending Arc
A key feature of the Pier is The Bending Arc, created by the internationally-renowned artist Jane Echelman, born and raised along the shores of Tampa Bay. It is composed of 1,662,528 knots and 180 miles of twine. The aerial sculpture spans 424 feet and measures 72 feet at its tallest point. The sculpture allows the wind to create a choreography of constantly changing shapes on the sculpture’s soft surface. The sculpture’s color also transforms at every moment while its surface interplays with natural and projected light. In the daytime, the sculpture casts shadow drawings on the park and people below, and at night it transforms into a glowing beacon of magenta and violet light.
Congratulations to the other Award winners…
- Anken Alley, Shanghai, China. Developer: ANKEN Group. Designer: ANKEN Group.
- Enabling Village, Developer: SG Enable Ltd. Designer: WOHA Architects Pte Ltd.
- Essex Crossing, New York City, New York, United States. Developers:BFC Partners; Goldman Sachs Urban Investment Group; L+M Development Partners; Prusik Group; Taconic Partners; New York City Economic Development Corporation; New York City Department of Housing Preservation & Development. Designers: Beyer Blinder Belle; Cetra Ruddy; Dattner Architects; DXA Studio; Future Green Studio; Handel Architects; Kokobo Greenscapes; SHoP Architects; SLCE Architects; Studios Architecture; West 8.
- MÉCA, Bordeaux, France. Developer: Region Nouvelle-Aquitaine. Designers: BIG-Bjarke Ingels Group; FREAKS freearchitects; Lafourcade-Rouquette Architectes.
- Norblin Factory, Warsaw, Poland. Developer: Capital Park Group. Designers: PRC Architekci.
Find out more about the awards here
Find out more about the Pier and all it has to offer you as a resident at 400 Central here